In this page I will describe how to setup a 2-player game using a null-modem (also called: Serial cable). Such a cable is sold in almost every computer store
for about $10. If you come across a store where these cables cost much more, this store is ripping you off! We assume you have the cable properly connected
already to both computers.
- Start Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
- In the main menu click: "2 players" on both computers.
- This dialog will help you connecting two computers.
- In "Link method" select the type of connection you'd like to establish. Our experience is that the
person using the fastest computer should select "Serial cable (sender)", this person we will call sender.
The other person using the slowest computer should select: "Serial cable (receiver)", this person we will call receiver.
- In "Serial Port" select the COM-port where the Serial cable is connected to. In most cases this will be COM2. If you know your mouse is at COM1 this seems
logical to us!
- In "Baud Rate" select the speed of your connection. In our case this will be "19200 baud". You must select the same value on both computers, otherwise
your connection will fail.
- Now the receiver clicks on "Attempt Connection".
- Now the sender clicks on "Attempt Connection".
- When a Message-box pops up saying: "Connection successful! Games now linked!" the connection has been established.
- Now you should decide who is going to do all the "work", this person we will call the workman. It doesn't matter if this is the sender or the receiver. Choosing
a workman is important because the same person has to save and load your savegames in order to get your own company.
- Now the workman clicks on "New game".
- The workman selects the type of game you would like to play. In our opinion "Generate random new game" will give the most satisfaction.
- Transport Tycoon Deluxe will start to work and after a while when both computers are ready the fun can begin!
Saving a game
- The workman clicks on the disk icon.
- The workman clicks on "Save". Now the game is saved on both computers, do not remove the game on one computer thinking that you can copy
the game manually from one computer to the other. Transport Tycoon Deluxe will crash if you try to load such a savegame.
Loading a game
Any comments or suggests to email@example.com
- The workman clicks on "Load game".
- The workman clicks on the desired savegame that is present on both computers.
Online since: Saturday, October 5, 1996 Last update:
Friday, November 11, 2005
Copyright © 1996-2008 Paul van Eijden.
Hosted by Metia ICT in The Netherlands.